Sunday, June 10, 2007

It Was A Good Weekend

A Thousand Splendid Suns

What an exquisite, sad, powerful, poignant novel. I do not know the correct words to describe this beautiful book. I can't stop thinking about it. I kept the iPod playing in the car or in my ears as much as I could this weekend. How magnificent is the human spirit to endure such sorrow and hardship. When I thought Mariam and Laila could not possibly survive another tragedy, I learned they not only can endure, but are brave enough to dare to hope and love again.

I wonder if the author has ever read one of my favorite pieces of literature, William Faulkner's Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech? I think they both speak magnificently of the courage and power of the human spirit.


A New Champion



Addie finished her championship this weekend by winning the final of 15 required points. Addie is co-owned by my friend Sarah in IL and has been tag teamed to her championship by both Sarah and I. Addie makes up my 21st champion. Above is a casual picture of Addie taken while playing around the house. Addie lives here part time while attending some shows and, unlike my own dogs, does not tear a toy to shreds as soon as she gets. Rather, Addie will actually play with a toy. She's playing here with an expensive toy I wouldn't think of giving to my own dogs as they'd wreck it as soon as they got a hold of it. When Addie leaves I put the expensive toy away and only bring it out again when Addie returns.



Yep, that's Addie again just after we arrived home from the show. Why yes, that is a piece of grass between her teeth! Shows dogs are just 'plain old dogs' at home. Addie doesn't seem to know she's anything special in this photo does she?

Five baby bluebirds!

The bluebird eggs hatched on Saturday. All five little birds are alive and parents busy feeding them. I check on them daily and will continue to do so for about another 10 days. After that it's time to leave the babies alone so they do not fledge too early. I wanted to take a picture for you but didn't dare disturb them so you will have to take my word for it. I will try to get pictures when the birds leave the nest. Can't wait - I will finally be able to let my cat outside - Hurray!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

YAY, Addie! Give her a pat from me.

Oh, I would love to see the baby bluebirds ...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Congrats to Addie!

You aren't kidding about baby birds fledging too early. I have a very small backyard, and this stupid robin built a nest...my yard is too small to try and avoid them, and one day I did something, and out they tumbled, into the waiting paws of my cats. I managed to get the cats (4!) out of there without the mayhem that might have happened, while the parents screamed at me. No fun. I don't know what happened to the babies. Mom and Dad had taken them somewhere when I looked again.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

Congrats to Addie - she looks like a sweetie.

I love to watch the baby birds hatch, but I'm always surprised when they're big enough to fly away!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home