Sunday, April 22, 2007

Gosh, my dad called me today from AZ and complained about how infrequently I update my blog. I had no idea how long it has been since the last update. I could swear I blogged just a few days ago!





So here I am in my Nantucket Jacket. I love it, can't wait to wear it next fall and winter. And it was fun to knit, which I can't say about my next project.








This, yes this little piece full of mistakes, is the result of 4 hours of Sunday afternoon knitting. Isn't it pitiful? I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this project. Still, I could do this with enough patience. I will have to use stitch markers to indicate every 10 stitch repeat and a life line on every 10th and 19th row. It won't be fast. I'm not sure it will even be fun. I'm trying to think why I want to do a knitting project that will not fun.



I started a little shrug out of Dream In Color yarn, Classy. What a great name. It's a worsted weight, super wash yarn. The color is "Cool Fire". It's a fun yarn to knit with. I'm in the middle of the 4th of 9 repeats so you can see it's also a fast knit. I might stick with this for a while and reconsider my Traveling Shells Cardigan.

Meanwhile, I had a ton of spring cleaning and dog chores to complete this weekend before my dog show season starts in earnest. Too bad I wasted so much time on the silly little swatch for the Traveling Shells Cardigan. I did get all the windows washed and screens put on, the patio hosed down and the house cleaned. Still, I didn't get any dogs groomed or Advantage applied The ticks are out in force around here! Most importantly, I didn't get any dog toenails trimmed. It's a rule in my house that all the dogs' toenails must be trimmed before you go to bed on Sunday night.

Where have the bluebirds gone?
The bluebirds were here in late March, at least 3 males and two females, but they disappeared when the cold and snow came in April. The tree swallows are now mating and fighting over the bluebird houses but it saddens me to see no bluebirds nesting in any of the houses. I am hoping they are nesting in natural cavities. Over the 26 years I've lived here I've let the trees in the fence row grow and I do much to attract woodpeckers so hopefully the bluebirds are finding natural nesting spots and not needing the bluebird houses. I do see them perching out on my dog jumps most every day, I just don't see them using the nesting boxes.

I set up my dog jumps each spring. The primary purpose is to train the dogs of course, but I've learned the jumps make excellent outposts for the bluebirds to sit on and watch for worms and bugs. It's always so relaxing to look up from my computer while at work and see the bluebirds using the dog jumps to hunt for food. I'm not so crazy about it when I go out there in the evenings to train the dogs and find the jumps cover in bird poop...but it's a small price to pay I figure.

See the dog chasing my cat in this picture? That's Addie. I bred her and co-own her and she's here for a few shows this spring. My own dogs do play with the cat but know better than to chase him. Addie hasn't quite learned that lesson yet. Speaking of, poor Percy is sick again. I just had him at the vet for a bladder infection and seems it has returned. Looks like Percy will have to make another visit to the vet tomorrow. He won't be happy about that.

I closed out my weekend (well, not quite, I still need to cut dog toenails...) by making my favorite pizza. I do make good pizza.

3 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

Pizza recipe, please?

I love the picture of the dogs milling around!

I am envious of your bluebirds. I get Mourning Doves, Cardinals, Woodpeckers of all shapes and sizes, Red Winged Blackbirds Chicadees and Goldfinches - but no Bluebirds.

Love the pink yarn.

Did you get huge flocks of Robins a couple weeks ago when we had that unexpected snow?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I really love the Nantucket Jacket, it looks great on you.

Tell the pups I said, and give Percy a pat from me. I hope he'll feel better soon.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

The Nantucket Jacket looks wonderful!

I'd like to second the request for the pizza recipe. It looks very yummy.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home