Tuesday, April 10, 2007

UFOs

...or Un-Finished Objects for my non-knitting family and friends who read my blog. I honestly didn't think I had many of them. I'm usually very anal about finishing each project I start. However, I dug my UFOs out this past weekend and decided to confess. Eeek! Doing this inventory was rather embarrassing.


I completed the knitting portion of this cotton vest back in the summer of 2004 or maybe it was even 2003. All it needs for finishing is a little crochet around the edges and buttons sewn on. I started the crochet on this vest as my Nantucket Jacket was blocking. I crochet so seldom I need to re-learn the skill each time I use it and figured I'd practice crocheting on this vest before tackling the Nantucket Jacket. I knit left handed, i.e., I move my stitches from the right to the left needle. I've tried in the past to learn how to knit right handed but I've knit in my own way for so long now it's very difficult for me to change. However, I crochet so seldom I'm hoping to take a class and learn to crochet right handed. As for completing the white vest, it's going very slowly. I've crocheted and ripped and crocheted and ripped. I can't seem to make my stitches come out evenly and my crochet is much tighter than my knit causing the knitted item to pucker.



Then there's this little Fiber Trend Sheep Tote Bag. I consider it a UFO because I want to try needle felting and needle felt a corgi outline on the bag. I can't draw worth a darn but I thought perhaps I could trace a corgi outline onto the bag somehow and then needle felt it. I was thinking my bag turned out nice enough until I saw this bag done in two colors on the Knitters Palette blog. Check out the March 30th entry. Isn't that pretty?


Last but hardly least is this Adrienne Vittadini Zebra patterned sweater. This is a very old UFO. Some years back I went crazy for color work. I couldn't knit enough of it. Then I ran into this sweater and it killed my joy of color work completely. I've completed the back and front and checking it out some years later, my knitting is not so bad. It could still make a nice sweater but I just lost my mind with all the dangling bobbins and yarn towards the end of this sleeve. What a mess. I'll have to untangle it all and figure out where I am in the pattern. I remember I'm close to the end of the sleeve. I did this in intarsia. I'm thinking I could possibly finish this first sleeve and the second sleeve by stranding the yarns, not the best method but I'm thinking stranding the two colors might be the only way I'll finish this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Mary, I'm glad someone else has such UFOs sitting around - I was surprised too, when I realized how many I had! But they all look finish-able, and like they may not take too long.

(Yep, I'm a lefty too!)

8:13 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

HATE crochet. I know it's because I'm so bad at it, but it drives me insane because it never seems to end!

That Zebra sweater is crazy!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home