Monday, May 28, 2007

Relaxing on Memorial Day

I haven't blogged in so long I wasn't even sure what would be on my camera today when I down loaded photos and there wasn't much. I guess that's one reason I haven't blogged in a while, just not much to say.

On my camera was a very fuzzy picture I decided not to publish of the first Rose-Breasted Grosbeak to visit my feeders this spring, one of my favorite birds. I know I have so many favorite birds but I do love the Grosbeaks. They are so quiet. You can count on them to be at your feeders in the early morning and late evening, quietly feeding once all the raucous birds have gone home or are still sleeping. This morning I also spotted the first Baltimore Oriole at the orange feeder but the most exciting news is there are 5 little blue eggs in one of my blue bird houses.

I know I promised I would not bore my blog readers with my inch by inch progress on the traveling shells cardigan but I had to show you the progress I am making. Here's a picture after 2 1/2 repeats of the pattern. I have purposely not taken a tape measure to it so I can't tell you how long it is. I do know I have some knitting to do yet before separating the back and the two front pieces. Still, I'm pretty proud of my progress. I honestly wasn't sure I could do this and it's always fun to push yourself a bit and find out you really can do it.

Here is a close up of the pattern. You do not have to look too closely to see my mistakes, especially the split yarn towards the beginning. Luckily, I think I am hardly ever splitting yarn any more and am finding the pattern easy to follow. A row takes me any where from 20-35 minutes to complete. Hopefully, things will seem faster once I reach the arm holes.

Some of the dogs and I attended dog shows this past Saturday and Sunday. The breed ring was just so-so, no big wins to report, but I was extremely happy with Dot and her performance in the obedience ring. Dot and I, since obedience is definitely a team sport, have had a serious retrieving problem. I think we are finally over it and Dot did very nice dumb bell work this weekend. I am planning and hoping we are on a training path to get Dot her CDX title in July. The best laid plans of mice and men... I'll keep you posted.

In other dog training news, I've been very good about my resolution to be more consistent with my training of Bunny and she's progressing nicely. Bunny is not at all shy, she loves going to shows and training classes, but she has some silly idiosyncrasies about things like dark corners, big fans, strange noises, so it is going to take some time before I get Bunny in the ring.

I think I have as many dog training books as I have knitting books - and that's a lot! Back in January I purchased Competition Obedience: A Balancing Act. This is not a new book but one I did not have in my library and I must say, I'm glad I bought it. There is a chapter in this book called Power Steering and another called Fundamental Words. I've decided to experiment with teaching Bunny all these concepts before moving on to my own method of preparing a dog for competition. I don't know that one method is any better than the other but I'm having fun trying something new and Bunny seems to be enjoying herself also. I've also gone back to a book I've had in my library for some time now, Schutzhund Obedience: Training In Drive. I find I am using a number of techniques from this book to help Bunny get over her fears and start exhibiting a little more drive. Bunny and I are definitely a work in progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

The sweater is beautiful!

Pat the pups for me. :-)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

Well, your dogs may be true competitors, but you know what I like about them? They always look like they are smiling. Anthropomorphism, I know, but they're cute!

(Good job on your shells cardi by the way!)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Rani said...

Wow. The sweater is amazing. When it's done, don't you wish that you could wear with it a huge label that says I MADE THIS DAMNIT! It's NOT from the GAP!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home