Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Do Not Knit When You Are Tired

I learned this lesson over the past weekend. I took my parents out to eat at Fermentations this past Saturday night. We had a very nice time. The ostrich and halibut were quite good, the chicken was just ok. Still, we had a wonderful time. I arrived home late and had to let the dogs outside to exercise before going to bed so I decided to knit a row of the traveling shells cardigan while I waited for the dogs. Oh, was that a mistake. I knew I was tired and had enjoyed a few glasses of wine but at the time I thought I was just whipping through a row of knitting. Was I wrong! It took me a little less than 1 and 1/2 hours on Sunday morning to repair all the damage I'd done. So take my advice, don't knit when you are tired or have had a glass of wine or two.

I'm happy with the progress I am making on the traveling shells cardigan but I won't bore you with pictures. We are having a big family reunion at the end of June and I had hoped to have the cardigan completed by then but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I'd love to start another project, like socks, but I am determined to finish this first.

I'm in love with my iPod Nano and have been for some time. I have managed to move almost all of my CD collection to my iPod. I have about a dozen CDs left to copy. Recently I went looking for audio books for the iPod. I've listened to all of the audio books available at my local library I care to listen to, and a few I didn't. I love to read "real" books but have found audio books the perfect substitute for times I also want to knit or am driving to dog events, driving to dog lessons, to work, etc.. I spend a lot of time in my car.

I wasn't happy with the iTunes book selection. Almost all of the books I wanted to read were abridged and I think reading an abridged version of anything is just wrong! Over the weekend I discovered audible.com and quickly signed myself up. I downloaded and have already listened to the two most recent Micheal Connelly books. I'm a huge Harry Bosch fan. He's such an imperfect hero, he's hard not to love. Aren't we all imperfect heroes?


Now that I'm all caught up with Harry Bosch, I have down loaded the latest Einstein biography. I've been wanting to read this but the only version available on iTunes was an abridged version. I'm excited to have the unabridged version to read.


And I also downloaded Khaled Hosseini's latest, A Thousand Splendid Suns. I've read his first novel, The Kite Runner, and enjoyed it very much so I'm looking forward to 'reading' his latest via my iPod.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

Oooo - I've done the knitting under the influence thing - really NOT a good idea.

I was going to recommend audible.com when you started talking about books. I listen to them when I'm walking up at the cabin. I hate abridged books as well. I get confused because they cut out parts of the plot. I loved the Kite Runner as well, thanks for the new book title!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I haven't tried books on my Ipod. I probably should. More knitting time that way.

I'm usually OK on one glass of wine sipped slowly, but any more than that is a problem.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Well, at least you learned the lesson about knitting when you are tired and have had wine the first time ... it took me a few to make the correlation (duh).

Hm. I may have to look into an iPod Nano ...

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home