Monday, January 15, 2007

Puckered Sleeves


I said I wouldn't blog again until I completed the bi-color cable sweater and you can see it's not finished yet. Something has gone wrong with the sleeves and I've putzed and putzed over them until I'm sick of the whole project. The sleeves do not fit in the arm hole, no way, no how. Normally I would simply frog (rip it rip it) back to the beginning of the arm hole shaping but I've counted rows and stitches and re-read directions and can't figure out where I went wrong. I'm a bit hesitant to start ripping only to knit the sleeves incorrectly again. I did make the sleeves shorter in length than the pattern size but I'm a short person with short arms and I've shortened the sleeves on almost every sweater I've ever knit. I've checked the Interweave web site for corrections to this pattern and there are none. I'm sure it's something I've done wrong. So this afternoon I tried to work with what I had before I frogged both sleeves.



I made a puckered sleeve. I only did one so far. I'm not at all fond of puckered sleeves and though no one could accuse me of being a slave to fashion, I'm sure puckered sleeves are not in style these days. Still, I tried it on and it doesn't look half bad. I'm thinking I will pucker up the other sleeve and just finish the darn thing. This project has gone on long enough.



I realized the sleeve problem a few days ago and rather than deal with it at the time, I did what all good knitters have done now and again - I set the project aside and started on new projects. Yippee! Nothing like getting a new project or two going to motivate me to go back and finish old projects. I don't know why this is but it works for me. I started a pair of socks using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn, colorway River. The pattern is Vine Lace Socks from the book Socks Socks Socks. I hope to gift these so need to complete them by the end of the month. We'll see how that goes. They are fun to knit and the four row repeat pattern should be quite easy but so far I've managed to goof up row 3 each time I've done it. Too many distractions while knitting I think.



And here's the start of my Nantucket Jacket. After completing the two set-up rows I have found this easier to knit with distractions than the socks. So far the sweater looks more complicated than I've found it to be. Of course, all that may change when I get to the sleeves!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Well, I'm no help with the sleeves, I'm afraid, but the socks and the beginning of the jacket look great!

Good luck with your sleeves, I hope that you either figure it out, or that you can get the other one to look good too ...

7:50 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

How frustrating to have things go wonky when you are at the finishing part of such a pretty sweater!

The socks are great - I love the colorway. The start of the Nantucket Jacket looks awesome. I think I'll wait to see if you have any problems before I try to start one!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home