Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas and Peace On Earth


Merry Christmas all! Though I'm having a lovely visit with my sister in Kentucky I only caught the Holiday spirit after arriving. My trip down was hardly ho-ho-ho.

Does this look like a Passat to you? It doesn't to me either. My 2007 Passat with 1062 miles broke down in Waterloo, IA while I was traveling 70 mph down the freeway. I limped along to a Burger King parking lot where I figured I would at least have coffee, warmth, a bathroom and food (even if bad food). I waited 45 minutes for the roadside assistance to get back to me then 45 minutes for a tow truck to tow the Passat - with 1062 miles - for the third time in it's short, miserable little life. The car was towed to a dealer in Cedar Falls, IA where it now sits because of course the service center was closed for the Holidays.

Determined to celebrate Christmas in KY, I rented a vehicle that could hold two dogs and tons of miscellaneous stuff. I arrived in KY at 11:00 pm when I had planned to arrive by 7:00 pm. Now that I am here I am having a wonderful visit with my sister but tomorrow starts all the phone calls and hassle with Volkswagen about my $%&^% car. I'm already dreading it. I guess it's time to just walk away from the Passat, take the loss and move on. I sure can't keep a vehicle as unreliable as this.


While waiting in the Burger King parking lot I started knitting to calm my nerves. I did not knit on the sleeves to my almost finished sweater but decided I could start on a new project while wallowing knee deep in self pity. Here's a scarf in Misti Alpaca Chunky I completed.

Here's hoping for a yet different new car in 2007. One that actually works.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Well, I'm glad you at least made it safe and sound to your sister's and then were able to enjoy the holiday.

Your car does sound unreliable at best. I hope you can get that all resolved with a minimum of drama.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas nonetheless!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

I can't believe they won't just cut their losses and get you a different car. That is just CRAZY!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered parking your car in downtown Minneapolis and leaving the keys in it? Just wondering....

7:23 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Oh that Lauren, always so funny! She must think the Passat would start for a car thief when it doesn't start for me.

Actually, made it home today, all the way from Waterloo, IA in the Passat. Must say it ran well, even turned it off to get gas and it started again. Will wonders never cease?

5:52 PM  
Blogger J L said...

Hey, I can sympathize -- my Honda Civic had a problm at 300 miles back in October. Some fuse thingie goofed up on me and I shot out of the driveway in reverse at 30 miles an hour. Had to STOMP the brakes to get it to stop. I called the service guys and they poo-poohed it. So I tried again and almost got killed for my trouble when the power cut out on the road. I called again and screamed at them. They sent a tow truck.

It's fixed, but like you, I'm nervous now. And I was peeved with the dealer because I had to go pick it up, they didn't drive it back to me -- 300 miles and it's goofing up and you won't drive the #*(@ car back?

I have to say, it's an okay car but I won't buy another one. It's just not very peppy and handles like a truck. I wanted to get another Subaru, but I don't have a reliable dealer nearby and one thing I found with Subaru is, you need a dealer.

Hang in there -- hopefully this is all straightened out. Otherwise go for the Lemon Law threat and see what happens.

But I know how you feel about the nervous factor ....

J

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home