Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Precious little knitting content

I took four hours of vacation this morning to go herding with JJ. I've done this quite a bit this summer. My regular lesson is suppose to be late in the afternoon on Wednesdays but with the heat this summer, I've frequently had to make other arrangements.

And it was another scorcher today! Hot and so humid. As we Minnesotans like to say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity". The humidity is especially hard on the sheep and dogs. I ended up spending 3+ hours driving for 10-15 minutes of herding time. Makes it tempting to get your own sheep at times...



As I mentioned in an earlier post, my herding instructor had a Herding Fun Day on Labor Day. I took a few casual shots. It was an absolutely beautiful day, warm but not humid(!). The sun was shining so bright I could not see anything in the camera's view finder so I just clicked away. They aren't the best pictures but hopefully give you a bit of the flavor of the day.



If you enlarge this picture you can see some of the sheep and a friend with her Cardigan Welsh Corgi. These are not woolly sheep. You wouldn't want to spin any yarn from these gals. They are mostly Katahdins, some Barbs and Barb crosses. Many people who keep sheep for herding have small flocks and do not want the trouble and expense of shearing. My instructor added some new lambs this year and she keeps telling me they are hair sheep, but they sure look like Jacobs to me. Lucky for her, I'm no sheep expert.



I had to stop in the office on the way home from herding lessons and it was far too hot - and humid - to leave a dog in the car, so here's JJ in the office behaving himself.

And you didn't think you'd get away without looking at puppy pictures did you?



Above is Big Girl and Little Boy at one week old. I'll leave it to you to guess which is which.





And here they are today. I still don't know what to make of my little boy. He's gained a pitiful 2 ounces over his birth weight at 10 days old. I'll let him grow on a bit until he can be better diagnosed or he takes a turn for worse.

No knitting pictures tonight. I worked several hours on the sleeves of the traveling shells cardigan this past weekend but there's nothing new to see. I've really got to get this finished as the Clapotis KAL starts soon. I'm feeling like the slowest knitter in the world!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

Oh, they are funny looking little things aren't they? At first glance, in that first picture they looked about the size of Guinea Pigs!

That little boy really is tiny. Sure hope he's okay.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

You aren't the world's slowest knitter. That would be me. Puppies - so cute. I sure hope the little guy does OK.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Nice pictures.

I'm glad that our boy is still hanging in - good for him! We're still keeping a good thought for him at our house.

You are not the slowest knitter. I think there are plenty of us out there, and we need to band together!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Adorable puppies. I hope the little man is just off to a slow start and will start gaining.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home