Friday, July 06, 2007

Your first boook

Bridget blogged about what we each consider the Great American Novel. I thought this was interesting and it had me thinking about a question I like to ask of folks who are readers and lovers of books.

What was the one book from your childhood that opened up the world of reading for you? You know, the one that caused you to to walk or beg a ride to the library? The book that made you want to sit in a chair on a weekend afternoon and read instead of playing outside?

I had a friend years ago who struggled to read and found no enjoyment in it. Then he read Alive, the book about the rugby team who survived a plane crash in the Andes. Ok, it's never going to make Bridget's list of candidates for the Great American Novel, but it opened up a whole new world for my friend and the more he read, the easier it became to read and the bigger his world became.

My most influential childhood book was - surprise - Old Yeller. Once I read this book I haunted the library stacks every chance I could. I read every dog and horse book there was. I've re-read a few in adulthood and honestly, some of them are pretty bad. Not that it matters though, it opened up a fantastic world for me and wonderful hobby and I soon graduated to wider subjects and better books. I hope every kid can find his/her 'special book'. I think Harry Potter's accomplished this for many kids today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

It was "Mandy" for me . . . a sort of secret garden type of book. Harry Potter for my boys. And I would have to say that Grapes of Wrath has been my stand-alone great American novel.

Thanks for you book reviews. I can't wait to read 1000 spendid suns!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I loved "Old Yeller," but the first book I remember reading that just made me want to keep reading was "Black Beauty." Followed closely by "The Incredible Journey" - hm, do you see a theme here ???

I have to admit that when I was writing my post, I did think of "Grapes of Wrath." And then I realized that I tend to think of that more because it's personal to me. Whereas, "To Kill a Mockingbird" made me want to keep reading AND try to be a better person.

Oh well, at least I've kept reading ... ;-)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hi! I have just found your blog, I LOVE corgi's!!! I bet you hear that all the time!!! Anyhoo, the book that changed me from a non-reader into a reader was Wrinkle in Time, I still remember being totally captivated by it in 3rd grade and I could not stop reading till I finished it. I still reread it every 8yrs or so.And the funnie thing is, my kids hate it, go figure.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I don't remember what book made me want to keep reading, but it was no doubt about horses. Maybe that Misty book?

10:45 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm still looking for the book that makes me want to read. I do a lot of reading; all non fiction figuring that I might just learn a thing or two. lol. Most of my reading is to my grandchildren. That 10 apples up on top book was a cliff hanger.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

Oooo- A Wrinkle in Time!!! That was the name of the book! My mom told me I couldn't sign out anymore picture books from the library - and the librarian helped me find that one! That was all she wrote! I've had my nose in a book at all times ever since!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this one book in 3rd grade about a little girl who was a witch. After that I wanted to be a witch so bad! This was also when Bewitched was a big show. Unfortunately I got confused and turned into a bitch instead of a witch. But it was the best that i could do:)

Of course reading Nancy Drew was also exciting. I'm not a detective but my kids think I'm very nosy.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home