Friday, January 30, 2009

Text Message From KY

(I'm editing this one blog post as I receive information from my sister. Figure it's easier than a new post each time)



I received two text messages this morning from my sister. The first one:

>No NPR

The second:

>War Zone

>War zone here no elec prob not a week
>fp works cooking on it too no cell since tues 0830
>hope this gets thru

I've been envisioning tree branches through her house, broken water pipes. At least there was no mention of this. The weather reports are for it to reach into the 50s for this weekend. That should help. At least she'll be warmer.

Thank you crgilvr for you update from Kentucky!


Edited to add:

Here's a good story of conditions in western Kentucky. My sister lived in Murray a few years ago but now lives in Gilbertsville, up closer to the lakes.

Edited to add:

And here's and even better article from the Murray State news.

Edited to add

Text message from 12:00 p.m.

>No cell no elex for at least a week no npr no fuel
>trees down everywhere have gas logs hooray
>bored silly went out yesterday too dangerous

>Have water

>House is warm

Last Update

My sister finally got through on her cell phone. She was at friends' and had just taken a hot shower. They were sitting in the sun, the ice was starting to melt. I could hear the branches popping in the background. They were well into their cocktails. Good for them. A little relaxation in a time of crisis. It will be some time before there is any electricity. Every wire is down, transformers are laying in the road and in the trees. I guess it's quite a mess. At least she is safe.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger crgilvr said...

You're welcome! I have decamped to a place with power w/husband and two corgis. It snowed a few more inches this morning.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Guinifer said...

Oh Gee - I hope your sister's safe and warm in the meantime!

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home